What is Hotel Management
There is a huge demand for hotel management professionals as there are increasing number of hotels being set up. Hotel management encompasses managing the operations of a hotel and serving the needs of customers.
What is Hotel Management?
Due to the progress in hospitality industry customer demands are increasing. To offer the best value to customers, executives need to be well equipped with skills and experience. For a career in hotel management you can pursue a hotel management course. Many institutes offer degree and diploma programs in hotel management.
- The degree courses offered by some of the institutes are
- Bachelor of science in hospitality studies
- Bachelor of arts in international hospitality and tourism management
- Bachelor of arts in international culinary arts
The main diploma courses that teach what is hotel management are
- BBA in travel and tourism
- Diploma in culinary operations
- Diploma in hospitality operations
- Diploma in Patisserie and confectionery
The eligibility for the degree course is HSC or equivalent education. Some courses require minimum 45% marks in HSC to be eligible. For the diploma courses the eligibility is SSC or equivalent education. There is also a personal interview conducted before final selection for the course. Government recognised institutes also conduct an entrance exam.
Some institutes also offer an international curriculum and have collaborations with leading universities around the world. The courses offered have a curriculum that
- Encourages research to effectively meet quality standards
- Offers a progressive learning environment that instills relevant professional skills in students
- Provides a well structured career path
- Provides a unique platform for knowledge acquisition through projects and internship
- Guides students to critically reflect on theoretical and practical approaches to workplace behaviour
- Perfects creative and decision making skills of students to solve workplace issues
Institutes also prepare students for placements and have placement cells that train students to be industry ready. They organise visits to hotels to ensure that students are also aware of practical scenarios. Students are counseled in communication and interview skills while also benefitting from grooming and personality development sessions being conducted by industry experts. Industry experts also provide valuable inputs on current practises and expectations from future employees. They offer specialised training on technical aspects of hotel management.
Students completing this course can find placements in various departments of a hotel. They can find jobs in operations of the hotel, front office, food and beverages accounting, events and catering, sales and marketing, housekeeping and maintenance.
In addition to the above, there are also opportunities for finding placements in airline catering, cruise ship hotel management, hospital catering, hospitality services in MNC, kitchen management in colleges and companies, catering departments in railways and hotel and catering institutes. What’s more you can also be self employed and run your own business!
After doing the course, students can join as trainees and then move to any position. The salary increases with work experience. As with any management course, communication skills play a very important role in achieving success in the chosen career option.